Wednesday, June 11, 2008

My Number One Beauty Tip

Become more attractive using only one easy, totally safe and absolutely free method.

I don't really care much about how people look, but have been thinking about beauty lately. What people think of as beautiful in people and what people do to achieve beauty.

Every time I go grocery shopping I see those glossy magazines by the check-out line. You know the ones that I mean. For every headline about Paris Hilton's latest escapades there are two about articles that will teach you how to lose weight, fast. And for every headline about something actually important or interesting there are at least ten about what really concerns people; wrinkles, hair loss, fashion, muscles, suntans, breast size, penis size and other things like that.

Every day I get spam. Most of it relates to the same topics as those magazine headlines. Make this or that bigger, alter this, chop that off, get hair, remove hair, get bulked while you sleep, remove wrinkles, and so on, and so forth in all eternity.

So, do you have to do all these things to be attractive? Not that I think many people do truly all of it. It is for instance a very select few who do both breast and penis enlargements. But some people surely do, and a lot of people do most of the things the magazines tell them to. Do you have to spend all of your free time at the gym, the solarium, the health food isle, the stylist and the trendy stores to become someone worthy of a second glance? As you might have guessed by now, my answer is a resounding no.

I don't mind if people dress nice. I don't mind if people who are overweight try to lose some weight; if nothing else there are plenty of good medical reasons for that. Frankly I don't really mind any of the stuff people do to make themselves look pretty, as long as they do it for themselves and because it is something that they enjoy to do. I don't think any of that stuff is really important though.

So, what is it that I actually do think is important? What is this big secret that I'm going to tell you?

Well, the secret isn't that big, really. It can all be summed up in one word:
Smile

That's right, that's all I'm asking you to do. Before you start protesting I want you to think about it. When was the last time you saw a really genuine smile directed at you? Didn't it make you feel really good, and really good about the person smiling? Didn't a beautiful smile make that person seem more attractive to you?

If you've answered no to any or all of the above questions you are very different from me and everyone I know. If however you have answered yes to them then you already know what I'm talking about.

All kinds of smiles can be beautiful, and heighten the beauty of the person wearing it. The cute innocent smile of certain young people, the heartwarming smile of someone receiving a well thought-out gift, the infectious smiles of people who are genuinely happy and content, the intoxicating smiles of people deeply in love, the playful grins of up to some surprise… There are thousands of kinds of smiles and they all instill some kind of emotion, which is almost always a positive one.

Now, this may all seem obvious. I still think people should mention it more though. I see too few smiles in my daily life and I find that the world would be a nicer and more beautiful place if people would smile more.

So, from now on, if you are unhappy with the way you look, try not to let it bother you. Try to be a happy person anyway. That is altogether healthier and will make you more attractive to me and most other people in the process.